Looking after your immune system.
When it comes to fighting off seasonal colds and viruses, your immune system takes a role centre stage. This is the main reason that it is incredibly important to help boost your immune system and to look after yourself. Stress and anxiety can have a massive impact on the functioning of your immune system which is why people who are highly stressed will find that they seem to pick up every bug going.
There are some things that you can do in your daily life to help enhance your immune system and keep yourself nice and healthy. Leading a healthy lifestyle is the best and most effective way in which you can keep your immune system and the rest of your bodily functions working to their utmost levels whilst not putting any more undue pressure on your body. The steps that you can take include:
- Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables each day.
- Take regular exercise.
- Watch your weight and keep within the parameters that are healthy for you.
- Quit smoking.
- Only drink alcohol in moderation and ensure that you stay away from binge drinking completely.
- Practice good hygiene including regularly washing your hands to help reduce your chances of picking up viruses and infections.
- Make sure that you get enough sleep. Whilst the recommended amount may be 8 hours, this will depend very much on your own individual needs.
- Watching your stress levels and finding ways in which you can relax each day to ensure that you have the best chances of a good night’s sleep. This could include regularly using calming Essential Oils such as the ones you can find at https://www.quinessence.com/essential-oils to help with your relaxation regime.
This is important for everyone but in particular the young, elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions. Young children have underdeveloped immune systems and by nature being surrounded by other children in childcare and school settings will result in them picking up colds and viruses very easily. You can help your child by ensuring that all of the above occur which may help protect them against certain bugs but will definitely mean that their body is better equipped to fight off any illnesses.
As we age our immune systems begin to not function as well as they used to, which is why it is important that the elderly adhere to this recommendation and that those in regular contact with elderly members of the family ensure that their own personal hygiene is high to prevent passing on anything to their family member.