Tricks to Get the Most Out of Food Antioxidants
Antioxidants can offer great benefits to our body and take care of us both inside and out. Therefore, their inclusion as part of the usual diet is of great importance. Today we leave some tricks to make the most of the antioxidants in food.
Do not lose antioxidants!
Many foods offer antioxidants to our body, but depending on the antioxidant in question and the way we manipulate, cook or eat the foods they provide, we can lose or miss many of them.
For example, vitamin C, some fatty acids, vitamin A and E, among others, are oxidized or lost if we do not take care of the way we cook the food they own or if we do not store them correctly.
So if you want to take full advantage of the antioxidants in your food and enjoy its benefits in the body, you should take note of the following tricks.
Tricks to Get the Most Out of Antioxidants
In order not to reduce the antioxidant content of foods and also to make the most of them in our body, it is essential that you always keep in mind the following tricks …
- Avoid long periods of storage as well as prolonged cooking, because the longer after a product or manipulation is opened, the greater the loss of nutrients and antioxidants, according to a study in the Spanish Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics.
- If we must store fruits, vegetables, natural juices, olive oil or the like, it is always better to store them in a cool place and in a covered and dark container, since exposure to heat, sunlight and oxygen favors the loss of vitamin C, flavonoids, and other antioxidants.
- If we cook vegetables and / or fruits, best to do it with steam or with the least amount of water possible, for a short time.
- Wash the food to be consumed before peeling and / or cutting and if possible, consume with skin and cut them not long before their intake.
- Avoid prolonged or badly fried fries, because fats solubilize carotenes, vitamin A and E that have antioxidant action.
- Combine sources of carotenes, vitamin A and E with healthy fats to promote their absorption in the body. For example, we can consume a salad of green leaves with olive oil, tomatoes loaded with lycopenes or carrots with lots of vitamin A combined with nuts, seeds or other sources of good fats.
- Do not thaw frozen foods but rather cook directly, as it has been proven that the thawing and subsequent boiling of some vegetables accentuates the loss of antioxidant nutrients such as vitamin C.
- Refrigerate packaged fruit juices once opened or freshly made in capped container to reduce the loss of vitamin C especially.
With these tricks you will be able to take full advantage of the antioxidants of the foods present in your diet by reducing their loss and favoring their absorption in the body.
If you want more antioxidants, these tips will allow you to increase the levels consumed easily and thus, enhance their benefits in our body.
Leave a Reply